Forge Yourself in the Oldest Form of Hand to Hand Combat
We are Taichung’s premier martial arts academy, and proud to be the FIRST professionally instructed MMA academy in Taichung, offering a new class in Greco and FreeStyle Wrestling with multiple time National Champion wrestler. Classes are taught in Chinese and English for students of all skill levels and ages.
WRESTLING – Age 13 and over
Forge yourself in the oldest form of hand to hand combat
Wrestling is a combat sport involving grappling-type techniques such as clinch fighting, throws and takedowns, joint locks, pins and other grappling holds. The origins of wrestling go back 15,000 years through cave drawings.Wrestling has become an important and integral part of MMA. We have known the benefits of wrestling for MMA for a long time and are proud to be one of the only martial arts academies in Taiwan offering pure wrestling classes. Our coach, Yung Wei is a multiple time National Champion wrestler who competes at the highest level in Taiwan, and has over 9 years of wrestling experience.
Our wrestling program is designed to introduce the basic techniques found in both Greco-Roman and Freestyle wrestling. Coach Yung Wei will lead you through the fundamental drills, techniques, scoring, rules and positions involved in wrestling. Each class begins with a short and light warm-up, followed by a demonstration of the technique for the day, then drilling then live wrestling, and finished off with a question and answer segment. Yung Wei is always more than happy to answer any questions or comments you may have.
- To improve the ability to clinch and throw
- Increase stamina, strength, and speed on the mat
- Understand how to use wrestling to bridge the gap between striking and grappling
- Overview of the basic techniques, scoring, rules and positions involved
- How to hand fight, defend, attack, score and scramble for position
- Moderate to high intensity training sessions catered to the students ability
- Perfect for all levels of students
Professional Wrestling Coach
HSU YUNG WEI
The Bear’s Den BJJ & MMA is proud to introduce its wrestling coach, Yung Wei. Yung is a multiple-time National wrestling champion, 4-time national team athlete, and has been wrestling and competing for more than 9 years.
Currently a student and athlete on the wrestling team at National Taiwan University of Sports in Taichung.
Yung Wei brings a surprising amount of experience and strength and he is also an attentive teacher with a welcoming attitude who loves to answer questions. Come on down and try one of his classes.
Demitri Telfair is the founder and head coach of the Bear’s Den BJJ & MMA in Taichung City, Taiwan.
- Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Black Belt
- 5-0 professional MMA record
- Ranked #73 in the world at purple belt in 2017
- IBJJF Asian Open Gold Medalist, 2-time IBJJF Asian Open Silver Medalist, 2-time IBJJF Asian Open Bronze Medalist
- 4-time Pan Asian BJJ Champion
- 7-time Taiwan International BJJ Champion
- Combat Sambo Champion
- More than 200 combat sports matches
Demitri began his mixed martial arts journey practicing Tae Kwon Do and Wing Chun Kung-Fu in Canada over 20 years ago before moving to Taiwan. Since then, he has competed in MMA, Muay Thai, Boxing, Kick-boxing, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, grappling, Judo, and Sambo.
Demitri is also the Vice President of referees for CTMMAA, with over 100 fights refereed and judged. He assists and presents at MMA referee seminars educating the young talents of Taiwan. For overseas referee experience, he has worked for One FC in China and Legends FC in Macau.